Hello September

Hello!

It's been a jolly long time.

So much has happened since I last sat down and wrote what feels like a good ol' catch up post. I've opened up a document a few times and started writing, but I've found it quite hard to find the words to say recently. It's been A-Level results day, I've accepted my place at university, and tomorrow is my last shift at work. There have been really tough times, and everything going on in the world is pretty frightening. 

It's a strange time. On one hand, the change of season has brought with it a lot of normality. Children are going back to school, many people are able to go back to work, and a lot of parents have been able to drop the title of 'homeschool teacher'. But you only have to open the BBC news app to see what chaos the world is in and how many lives are still being lost. 

In one of my drafted posts, I talked about how it feels like I've spent the last six months anticipating change. And now that change has come, I feel like it has come out of nowhere. Lockdown felt like such a long time, and yet now it's suddenly September. 

Autumn always feels hopeful. I'm looking forward to putting on a new pair of boots and walking through the crunchy leaves on the ground.

The poem 'Hymn to Time' sums up how this time feels to me really well. 

"Time is being and being time, it is all one thing, the shining, the seeing, the dark abounding."

I like the line 'dark abounding'. Make of that what you will, but I like to think that life has lots of layers. It's beautiful, and scary, and it makes you think.


Marti

Comments

Popular Posts