Self-Love During Lockdown

It's an odd time. One moment you're motivated and ready to tick off your to-do list, and the next you are physically and mentally drained. The point of this post is to say that however you feel, that is perfectly okay. We are living through trauma, and it's of paramount importance that we not only look out for other people, but also ourselves.


I just wanted to say firstly that self-love isn't just about buying products that promise to change your life. In fact, the more of these products I buy, the more depressed it makes me. The best way to show yourself self-love is through loving and accepting yourself for who you are. Your skin may always be a bit dry; your hair may never be as shiny as you'd like, and there is no magic remedy for longer legs. If you never make peace with these things, you'll always end up feeling inadequate and searching for validation. Self-love comes from knowing that you are not perfect in every way, and that is what makes you perfect.

My favourite Bridget Jones quote:
"First off, I embarrass you. I can't ski, I can't ride, I can't speak Latin, my legs only come up to here and yes, I will always be just a little bit fat. And you, you fold your underpants before you go to bed."

Here are some of the ways you can practise some self-love during lockdown:
  • Maintain some level of normality, e.g. go to bed at an acceptable time, do work at a certain time each day
  • Listen to some good playlists- I'm listening to Cigarettes After Sex in the background as I write this- it's so calming
  • Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be productive all the time. You don't need to have read every single book on your bookshelf and have ten blog posts written in order to go to bed happy. You need to give yourself more credit for the things you do achieve, and don't be so hard on yourself
  • Get dressed, brush your teeth, and eat breakfast every morning
  • Make to-do lists for the day/week ahead. This might include applying for student finance, hoovering, cleaning your makeup brushes, and making progress with an
    online course
  • Keep in contact with friends and family via the internet. Google Hangouts has some great games to play remotely!
  • Spend time looking after your hair and skin- develop a routine that works for you!
  • Take time to enjoy your hobbies, e.g. baking, art, writing

This post was a collaboration with one of my best friends, Beth. She has also written a post, which you can read on her blog here


What is your favourite way to look after yourself? What is the biggest lie society has told you about self-love?

Marti 

Comments

  1. ahhh i love this marti! loved collabing with you!! it's so important that we look after ourselves, particularly at the moment. you've really said this all beautifully. i'm going to start doing the to-do lists x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! Loved collaborating with you too!! x

      Delete
  2. Yet another lovely entry. All the tips you listed out are so, so valuable and really pay off in the long run. Thanks for the motivation)).

    My favourite way to look after myself has to be by making sure I do something I enjoy doing on a daily basis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is always a great way to look after yourself! :)

      Delete
  3. I love what you said about not needing to spend money, cos if I splurge while in a low mood or not thinking straight I regret it later on! Same as people eating a huge tub of icecream etc when they're low and regretting it later on (personally I don't like to associate guilt with food so that one not so much but definitely with the money!) Self care can be all kinds of different things depending on when and what you need and knowing what helps is so great. It could be eating a nutritious meal, going for a run or having a sleep in; it could be having a pricier snack you normally wouldn't have or doing a face mask or cleaning your room or having the day off work to relax or watching a disney movie instead of studying. It's so good to be able to give yourself what you need and want to take that bit of stress off or give yourself some extra love, and I really like how you fully covered that in your post! Beautiful pic too btw. Love the body shop! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts