'Whistle in the Dark'- a Book Review

Happiness was doing everything wrong and finding that things had turned out okay, anyway. Happiness was obliviousness...”


― Emma Healey, Whistle in the Dark

I bought 'Whistle in the Dark' from a jumble sale last month. I have steadily been buying books in second-hand shops at a greater rate than I have been reading them, promising myself that this Summer would be the time that they finally get read. The biggest bright side to the country being on lockdown must be the amount of time I have to read, and the head start I have on getting through my shelves. The reviews on the front are what initially drew me in; the word 'cathartic' promised a satisfying read. To be perfectly honest, I did not find this book satisfying.

The story follows the relationship between Lana, a fifteen-year-old girl, and her mother, Jen. Jen is the archetypal worried mother, living in London with her husband, Hugh, and youngest daughter, Lana. She has another daughter, Meg, who works at an art gallery and Jen seems slightly envious of. Meg is a lesbian, but later breaks up with her girlfriend and has a child with an old friend. Lana has depression and has tried to kill herself previously, which is what seems to cause the tension between Jen and Lana. Jen feels like a bad mum for having to rely on professionals, such as psychiatrists and the police, to get through to Lana. Jen and Lana go on a sketching trip to the Peak District when Lana goes missing.



Overall, I did really enjoy this book and would recommend it. There were just a few points that made me want to strangle certain *ahem* characters. Firstly, Lana's character annoyed me; at times I wanted to shake her for how egocentric and inconsiderate of the people around her she was. Her mum obviously wanted answers from Lana, to which she was usually just ignored. Lana doesn't seem to have any respect for Jen at points in the novel, which made me really dislike Lana's character. I would like to read another book from Lana's perspective, perhaps an older Lana, and read her side of what's happening inside her head and in her life.

Jen's character, despite being overly absorbed in Lana's life, is interesting and reveals her own struggle with her mental health. Jen is malcontent with her title of 'mother' and wants people to see her as her own person. It is sometimes unclear as to whether she hallucinates and hears voices, revealing that she is just as fragile as her daughter. 

Hugh's character doesn't have many levels and seems to fit the role of calm and reassuring husband. Jen is surprised when Lana reveals that Hugh has a favourite mug, a detail that Jen never knew about him. I think that this perhaps suggests that Hugh does have more depth, but Jen herself doesn't see it.


To conclude, while I loved the story line and short chapters, I think that some characters deserve more depth and detail.  I would love to read more about Lana and Hugh’s relationship, Lana’s school life, and hear about Meg as a mother. I think it would be interesting to read a book with each chapter devoted to a different character and their perspective.

Which books are you currently reading? Which would you recommend?

Marti 

Comments

  1. Nice review. The ‘...made me want to strangle certain *ahem* characters’ part made me chuckle, even though I had no idea which characters you meant until I read on🀣

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reviews; have checked out your Goodreads and am impressed with how orginised it all is lol x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts