Another Day in Lockdown

It's Saturday afternoon, I'm waiting for my meringues to cook and thought I would write a blog post. I've been watching The Vicar of Dibley this morning, because apparently lockdown has turned me into an old lady. Dawn French is an icon though. 
These are the coffee meringues I made this morning :)
I love reading 'a day in the life' style posts, so given the current climate, I thought I would share mine!

I have an alarm set for 8am every day except Sunday, when I have to get up at 6 for work! Despite not having to get up early for school, I find that it structures my day a bit better to have an alarm set. I try to keep my phone and laptop at the other side of my bedroom to where my bed is to stop myself watching TikTok (or Waterloo Road- guilty as charged!) until I fall asleep. I failed on that one last night and spent an hour scrolling through TikTok in bed. 

When I first wake up, the walk from my bed to the other side of my room gets me out of bed in the first place, which is a massive positive. I like to start my day by reading on the YouVersion Bible app. It sets a positive tone for my day and helps me to feel grounded. I then have breakfast, which lockdown has made me really appreciate the value of. Today, I had scrambled eggs on toast and a coffee, but I often have a yoghurt (this is really interesting content, I hope that you're all at the edges of your seats!)

I like to fill myself in with the news in the morning by either watching BBC Breakfast or reading the BBC website headlines. I then try to avoid checking up on the news until the 5pm press briefing because I find being surrounded by the news all the time quite draining. Recently, I've been prioritising gentle exercise and stretches in the morning. I will link the  video below that I am currently using. I will disclaim that this lady is a liar and that these exercises are not easy OR gentle, but they do make you feel amazing afterwards (until the next morning when your core hurts!)



I like to listen to a podcast while I get ready in the morning, and have recently fallen in love with the BBC Sounds app. I will list a few below that I have been listening to recently. Some of these were recommendations, and others I stumbled across myself. Let me know if you have any recommendations!

Start of the Week
Emma Barnett Gets Answers 
The Poet Laureate Has Gone to His Shed
Grounded with Louis Theroux
Kermode and Mayo's Film Review

Mid morning yesterday, I spoke to a friend on the phone while completing my Student Finance application and applied for a scholarship. Speaking to friends on the phone also makes menial tasks a lot more bearable! I try to do the most boring tasks in the morning so that they are out of the way and so that I have the rest of the day to do the things that I enjoy. This morning, I changed my bedding and hoovered my bedroom and the second floor. Again, my life is very interesting...

After lunch/dinner/the meal in the middle of the day yesterday, I listened to part of the audiobook I am listening to, which is 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. I am really enjoying this so far! We usually walk the dog at about 2:30, which is a nice way to break up the day. Yesterday, we went to a nature park about fifteen minutes away from where I live. There's a field that Frankie is allowed to run around freely, which is very cute. He loves to pick up sticks (and anything else he can find, which is a bit of a problem when there are animal remains and pieces of litter!) He also met another dog while we were walking around, which was so cute to watch. 


After our walk, I started watching this week's National Theatre at Home's production, which is Frankenstein! This is one of the books on the reading list for my course at uni, and I am really excited to read it. One of my teachers sent me the link to this performance, and I am so glad that I watched it! I would definitely recommend- it's only available until the 7th May. 

After tea, I had a bubble bath because I'm basic and read some more of The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. I got this book for my birthday in November, and am still working through it. I really liked The Handmaid's Tale, as much as you can like a story set in such a terrible world. I am also enjoying this sequel, and hope to have it finished by the end of lockdown! I made a raspberry gin and lemonade and watched some mindless TV (which may or may not have been Horrible Histories), and that was the end of my evening!

I actually really enjoyed writing this epic poem of a blog post- let me know if you made it to the end!

What does your day in lockdown look like?

Marti 

Comments

  1. I loved this Marti, up there with my favourites of your posts! I am also a big Waterloo Road fan, & TikTok is just so addictive isn't it, it's dangerous! & of course, Horrible Histories is an absolute classic! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess girl good on you applying for those student loan things! I remember it was so stressful for people I know when they were doing it and really time consuming so good on you for getting it done so early too!! (the course I wanna do starts in July but I havent applied for anything yet as I don't even know if things will be back!) but you should check out a book called A Little God Time for Women it's a daily devotional book with a inspirational page to read per day xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts